Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

L'Opera Cafe - Avignon, France













My new friends Bea and Julie took me to L’Opera Café for dinner my only night in Avignon. It was such an enjoyable evening! The food was wonderful! The service left something to be desired and above me was a light that flickered all evening. Not usually one to be high maintenance, the light really annoyed me…

So for appetizers, I had delicious pumpkin soup with caramelized nuts. It was a very dense soup full of flavor and served HOT. Which is how soup should be served, you’d be surprised how many times I have had it cold…or maybe you wouldn’t. My dinner companions had a wonderful shrimp dish with a slaw salad. The salad was delicious and both of them enjoyed it (I only had a taste). I think it was too much slaw though, especially for a starter.

For an entrée Julie and I had “Guineafowl” [Never heard of it? Neither have I. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guineafowl] with a sweet potato mash and cheesy fried polenta. The Guineafowl was delicious although the skin inedible (which is very often the best part when it comes to poultry). The polenta was crispy and full of flavor. Sweet potato mash, delicious! My friend Bea had a beautiful pan fried fish with roasted vegetables, and sweet potato gratin. She enjoyed the whole dish very much!

Dessert was molten chocolate cake, with vanilla crème anglais and house chocolate ice cream – everybody’s favorite…an extremely predictable and passe dessert item but a patron favorite for sure. It was, I have to admit delicious…as was the wine…MY DESSERT J

No comments:

Post a Comment