Search This Blog

Monday, December 6, 2010

La Table D’Emilie






La Table D’Emilie

One restaurant that I did make it to was La Table D’Emilie. It was a prix fixe menu showcasing the specialties of the region. Lucky for me it had 2 things that I had been instructed to “make sure and try” while I was in Strasbourg.

First up – Tarte Flambe. Frankly I could have just ordered this and been extremely satisfied. It reminded me of pizza but it was not pizza. Check it this link for more information! It was delicious! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarte_flamb%C3%A9e

Main course –Baekeoffe, also a regional dish is served in a large ceramic oval shaped pot. The pot is filled with carrots, potatoes, onions and garlic and beef, lamb and pork. I mean really, what’s the point of one kind of meat when you can have all three? I can’t even begin to imagine how long the cooking process is for this amazing dish, I’m sure no less than several hours and easily could be longer than that. The result is bubbling, hot, tender meats and vegetables aromatic with herbs and spices. The only thing I would suggest is sharing it with someone else, I hate it when I’m defeated! There are many recipes for this online and it is certainly not out of anyone's reach. Make the time to do it properly;)

Dessert – Tarte de Saison – Loosely translated, seasonal pies. This time of year it was a delicious creamy apple tart. Flaky crust, rich creamy filling, tart apples and gelatin on top. The perfect finish.

Beverage – I don’t think I have spoken about French Beer yet. I have to say it is thoroughly enjoyable and VERY refreshing. Although light, it has a great beer flavor and has as many bubbles as champagne. It is so carbonated that you can feel it going down. With a meal like this, it was the perfect accompaniment and digestive J

2 comments:

  1. Ah, what a lovely Blog, I miss Europe and especially Alsace, keep on writing, lovely to just read and dream of all the good food!

    ReplyDelete