Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

A stroll through Strasbourg France














So on my second day in Strasbourg, this time without my friendly tour guides I did my best to navigate the streets and see what else I could find. I had been given a looooong list of things I must try prior to my departure, I can’t say I did everything. There are only so many hours in the day! I thoroughly enjoyed strolling through the streets however. I spent plenty of time going in circles also. It’s not easy explaining the layout of the streets and they are equally “not easy” in navigating, no matter how small the town is. So despite my going in circles I was able to make some progress and tried to get in as much as possible.

Strasbourg is known for a most amazing Cathedral. It is absolutely MASSIVE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strasbourg_Cathedral I am not sure if my pictures do it any justice. You can see from the link that at one time, although a very long time ago, it was the tallest building in the world. Part of me wonders if it just seems massive because the town that bustles around it is relatively small. Either way, it is certainly a sight to see. I really enjoyed it!

I stopped for tea in the most adorable little shop. The pastries are really something to admire. There are great pastries all over the world, it is safe to say the French bug has bitten me though. Everything is delicate and ornate and has a taste that is purely sublime.

It is also so fun to see actual chestnut vendors in the streets. They smell so good and immediately bring thoughts of Christmas and the holiday season! The town bustled with preparations for the upcoming holidays, lights being strung, small cottages built up for the Christmas markets, decorations everywhere, truly a special sight to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment