Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Domhof Brewery - Speyer Germany




Although I was lucky enough to have beautiful weather for mid-November it is clear to me that this place flourishes in the summer with an amazing outdoor Beer Garden and great old-style restaurant inside! The Beer Garden was closed for the winter although there were a few tables and a few patrons, myself included, enjoying the nice weather! I always love to find breweries like this one that are never far from the original tradition! They have hops weaving along the walls of the restaurant, a designer trick I have often been tempted to try...I like the look:) The Brewery is not large but the beer is delicious and has a flavor that is really unique! No need for blueberry or watermelon flavors here! It is crisp and very yeasty...almost like smelling fresh baked bread. From my pictures you can see the beer in Europe is usually served in this way with a big head on it. We don't serve it that way in the US, if they did I would be tempted to suggest that the keg is done and its time for a new one. My brother and I can agree though that this frothy top is reminiscent of our childhood as nobody ever noticed if some of it was missing ;)

Domhof is in a direct line to the Giant Cathedral in Speyer, "Imperial Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption and St Stephen" and a perfect place to refresh after sightseeing! They have a great website www.domhof.de which really can show you great pictures during the peak season!




No comments:

Post a Comment