Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mireille Oster - Pain D'Epices - Strasbourg, France







Right in the heart of La Petit France, a small neighborhood in Strasbourg, sits a small shop that is absolutely 100% to die for! I don't have a particularly large sweet tooth. Which is fine with me, I do have those sweets that I love but I'm pretty sure I don't need a t-shirt warning what will happen if I don't get my chocolate.

Mireille Oster - Pain D'Epices is a wonderland of sweets! The kind like in the Nutcracker, really! When you walk in you are bombarded with a scent that consumes you, fresh baked gingerbread, chocolates and other kinds of confectioner treats! The woman at the front of the store is quick to come have you try some fresh baked gingerbread. It tastes so good it makes you think of Christmas and Sugar Plum Fairies and everything in between. The best part about this place? The kitchen is just beyond the store front. I couldn't believe when I was brought to the back I saw actual trays of gingerbread about to go into the oven, giant jars of cardamom pods which they hand seed themselves. This place is real, the stuff doesn't come from some factory 20 miles away, it comes from right there!! The staff is so pleasant they make you feel as though you are one of the family, I am pretty sure they are all family or at least as close as. I passed by the following day and the entire staff was sitting down to lunch...complete with a glass of wine!!

I saw in one of the packages many small cream colored chocolate eggs. In fact they were not chocolate eggs...again the woman running the shop went to the kitchen to gather some so I could taste. They were creme brulee eggs. There is no finer flavor than these!! It simply is like eating a small creme brulee! It was crunchy and creamy and rich and delicious!!

If you make it to Strasbourg, this location is NOT to be missed...they also have a website, soooo maybe you don't have to miss it at all! Check it out, you won't be disappointed!!

www.mireille-oster.com

P.S. The picture of the caption on the wall may be difficult to read but they are words to live by for sure... "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself." Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment