Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Saumagen - Heidelberg Germany












So this is a tremendously famous dish in Germany...The exact translation is "Sow's Stomach". I had it in a brewery with several other local delicacies. Many of which I am familiar with from my upbringing. I will do my best to make clear what it is exactly that I ate. This is the website of the Brewerie...proceed with caution...


So item #1 Is Saumagen - Stuffed Sow's Stomach - Really delicious although maybe not by name...Be strong, by now I know you can handle it! I've thrown many things at you...this is easy!

1. The "Saumagen" is the meatloaf looking item. This is the link to Wikipedia for a better explanation:) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saumagen

2. The black colored sausage - Obviously blood sausage or blood pudding, I adore the texture and sweet flavor of this sausage. So YUMMY!

3. Liver dumplings - Maybe we cannot all say our Dad used to make soup with similar dumplings...I'm sorry, my Dad did. I'm a firm believer if you're a "texture" person, liver dumplings are the way to go. You get a bit of the texture with great flavor and in the form of a dumpling...who wouldn't eat that?!?!? We ate liver sauteed with onions and bacon too (I think chicken livers), my Mom is the master of cooking them...although she never joined us in eating them:)

4.Liver Sausage...Same argument...

5. Sauerkraut - mmmmmmmmmmmm Love it almost as much as I love beer!

6. And beer of course :) How can you not love the Eastern Europe culture???


No comments:

Post a Comment