Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Le Clou Winstub - Strasbourg, France





I have so much to share on the wonder of France and its Culinary Delights! I am happy that upon arriving in my first location in France, I found a pleasant blend of German and French cuisines. This being due to the fact that my first stop was in the Alsace region of France which borders (and sometimes was) Germany. Strasbourg was for me a tremendous place and as I shared previously the couple I met while have lunch in "Le Clou" spent the better part of their afternoon taking me around and showing me with abundant pride all the culinary delights that were offered!

Le Clou has such a warm and wonderful setting. It was such a treat from spending the morning in the cold pouring rain sightseeing. The tables are sat in long rows so there is little hope of eating alone. I always find this a wonderful treat because there is better opportunity to meet new people.

The menu is not vast (I prefer a smaller menu) and is full of rich treats as well as local specialties. I personally was on a mission to find "La Choucroute Garni" and find it I did! Similar to the dish featuring Saumagen in Heidelberg this dish has an assortment of meats and sausages piled over a heaping plate of sauerkraut! So delicious and ,once again, my mouth is watering. They served fresh baguette on the table and a small crock of AMAZING Dijon mustard, I suspect that came from the "Dijon Region" of France. The dish was delightful and hot. My new friends had Les 12 Escargots a l'Alsacienne, which smelled amazing, and beautiful Le Foie Gras d'Oie Truffe, Goose Foie Gras featuring the ever luscious Black Truffle. They seemed happy with their starters. Both, I must tell you were not happy with their entrees and told the waiter exactly that. Madame said she wouldn't have even served it in her home...so there you go. She proceeded to tell me that food is her passion at home and sometimes she can be difficult at restaurants. They vowed never to return.

I however cannot make that vow, the food I had was delicious. I would try other places as well:)

As for the wine - I had one glass of Gewürztraminer, another specialty of the Alsace region. The couple I met were kind enough to share a Pinot Noir of the region as well. Both were delicious. You can see the color of the Pinot Noir in my picture it looks like nothing. I assure you it is everything and more. Such a rich bold wine. It surprised me from my first sip to my last.

Check out the website for more information on the menu and restaurant! www.le-clou.com (Strasbourg, France)

Bon Apetit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment