Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2011

DIEGOS!!! Newport, RI




This week in November is Newport Restaurant Week in Rhode Island. www.gonewportrestaurantweek.com

Checking out the website to see all the participating restaurants prior to my weekend visit this past weekend, I had to make a huge effort to not go with what I knew. I could not be more thrilled to tell you about "DIEGO'S"! This experience beat out "pleasant surprise" by a mile! From the staff, to the ambiance, to the final bite, I cannot recommend this place enough!

My friend and I arrived to find a busy teeny tiny spot on Bowen's Wharf. We found a place at the bar and asked for the special 3 course prix fixe menu. Good news...many of the items on the menu for this week, also available on the regular menu:)

APPETIZERS

First up: Black Bean & Bacon Soup with Mexican Chilies finished with Crema and Avocado Croutons. This soup was actually a stretch for my friend! He really enjoyed every bit, save for the bite he kindly shared with me, full of good spice, not overpowering but filled with TONS of flavor.
I had the Spicy shrimp, local pumpkin and shishito pepper Rangoon’s served crispy with cilantro Thai chili sauce on the side. I have to say this dish was almost the reason I didn't want to go. I tend to get frustrated with confused chefs. You're either Latin, Asian, French, Italian etc. You cannot be all. In this case, Chef Scott showed no fear and this dish was outstanding. I loved every bite! They were making them while we were there, I was very happy to see fresh ingredients being made to order!

ENTREES
My dish first - Pan-Seared Mahi Mahi tacos with Oaxaca cheese, black beans, our tangy fennel slaw, diced scallions and pickled red onions served with a side of sautéed cilantro butter snow peas. I am a huge fan of the fish taco and this version stood out! Crunchy, tangy, smoky...I cannot express how well all the flavors and textures complimented each other...

My friend had the other tacos - Tender roasted duck tacos topped with zesty sautéed local butternut squash, black beans, baja cheese, diced scallions and pumpkin crema served with spicy caramelized brussel sprouts on the side. I have to say the Brussels sprouts slaw salad was inventive AND amazing! I could have eaten a ton of it! Such a refreshing side to the rich duck taco that was full of flavor, really delicious!

Dessert for me was, Danny’s Famous flourless chocolate tort topped with caramelized bananas
and fresh pumpkin whipped cream

and for my friend....Crispy desert burrito stuffed with delicious caramel roasted apples and cream cheese, topped with chocolate, caramel and strawberry coulis

Outstanding desserts, rich and full of flavor and the perfect sweet finish to this most surprising meal.

In the end when our bartender "Lauren" gave us the lowdown on Chef Scott, I ordered my favorite martini, Diego Style, a dirty martini. Hot, spicy and one of the best dirty martinis I have EVER had! Friends, I cannot recommend this place enough! I loved it:)

Check out their website and more importantly GO EAT THERE!!!
www.diegosnewport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment